Friday, May 4, 2012

People I Love: Greg

Greg and Andy at a recent dinner at Market Street Grill
My father-in-law Greg's birthday was back in March--so here is his belated post!  I never imagined I would have such a fantastic father-in-law.  I genuinely enjoy him and think of him as one of my good friends.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Greg is generosity.  I don't think I've ever met a more generous person.  It seems like I'm always hearing about some good deed of Greg's.  (And oftentimes we're the lucky recipients!)  One example is when he drove all our stuff to Texas with Cam.  It meant he had to take work off, paid for the hotel stay, paid for his plane ticket home...and he acted like it was something he wanted to do. Another example: Cam passively mentioned that a relative (that Greg doesn't see much) was stranded and needed a way home.  Of course Greg insisted on buying her train ticket home.  Back when we were in Provo, he'd come down every Friday and take us to lunch.  When we lived in California and he stopped by to see us, he'd stopped by Costco before and brought us a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries.  Not to mention that he found an extra car for us to use while we lived there. There are seriously countless more examples.  He is so generous with his time, with his money--everything.  He is a silent hero, always doing things for others.

I remember when I first went to dinner with Cam's parents, I told my family and roommates, "Greg is the funniest guy I've ever met."  That is still 100% true.  He has such a clever wit.  I never stop laughing when I'm with him.  He makes everything so fun.  The best is that Cam inherited some of this humor, so I get to be around it all the time!

Greg makes you feel like you're the most important person in the world.  He is so fun to talk to.  He is so genuinely interested in you and your life.  He remembers people and what's important to them.  He's always asking what all my sisters and parents are up to.  I think it's so sweet he stays so up-to-date with them.

Greg is unfailingly patient.  I have never seen him get frustrated.  Ever.  (And I've been around him in all sorts of frustrating situations!)  I remember I first noticed this when I joined Cam's family on a trip to California back when we were dating.  There was a fiasco with the airport parking service; I remember being shocked that Greg so patient and calm.  He is always making the best of things and looking at things in a positive light.

I truly feel incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful second Dad.  Love you Greg!

1 comment: