Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Big 25

So yesterday I turned 25! Yay! That sounds so old...I certainly don't feel that old. Despite its unpromising beginnings (Cameron is out of town and I'm all alone in California...I was so excited for my birthday facial and it fell through...and the old people I live with woke me up really early), it turned out to be a great day. Here's why:

--When I came back from my morning run, I found a beautiful bouquet of flowers on the table with the sweetest card and all the fixings for strawberry shortcake. Cameron arranged for it to all be delivered even though he's away. What a sweetheart. Made my morning.



--I ate lots of junk food. Those of you who know me well know that I have the biggest sweet tooth but rarely satisfy my constant craving for sweets. Since it was my birthday, I made an exception and enjoyed every single bite of strawberry shortcake, oreo truffles, and Ben & Jerry's Half Baked Ice Cream (yes, I ate the whole carton).

--All of the birthday wishes from everyone through calls, texts, and facebook. Lately I've been having my own little pity party..."I don't have any friends, no one cares about me, etc". I know it seems like such a little thing, but even having people make the effort to write "happy birthday!" on my facebook wall meant a lot to me and made me feel loved. My talented mother-in-law even made me the sweetest little video and made me feel very special. (You can view this on my facebook wall.)

--Chick flicks. Okay, I'll say it. I love super cheesy, meant-for-13-year-girls chick flicks. I indulged this love (because Cameron wasn't here to make fun of me) and watched "Another Cinderella Story" with Selena Gomez. I actually thought it was hilarious. Sue from Glee was in it--she's SO FUNNY. I also went to see Step Up 3D (Since when do movies cost $14?) but won't dwell on this point because I was severely disappointed in it. I love Step Up 1 and 2, but I thought this plot was undeveloped and the dancing looked fake or something. Too many special effects?

--I read the most wonderful talk about gratitude by President Monson. He talked about some of the simple things to be grateful for: Mother, Father, Friends (Husband), Teachers, Country, and the Savior. It was something I really needed to read. Read it! It's called "An Attitude of Gratitude."

Anyway, it was a great day. I'm a very blessed person. I'm so grateful for all the wonderful people in my life.

5 comments:

  1. I'm starting to get freaked out by our birthday similarities. I also had strawberry shortcake. Did you ever have a strawberry shortcake (the character) cake? Because there is a slight chance that we share DNA if you did.
    By the way, have you ever heard Melody Gardot? She's really amazing and I don't know your musical style, but remember you were musically gifted so you might like her.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph I wish I could have seen you for your bday! I can't wait to spend some time with you in Utah!! Happy Birthday again, Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could have been with you on your birthday! I love that you chose Ben and Jerry's half baked. Remember walking to Blockbuster to get that in London on many occasions (and the subsequent 15 pounds I gained)? I have informed my mom and husband that after I do deliver this baby (who at some point better be coming out of me)that I think I will deserve a pint of that ice cream. Oh how I love it. Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish we could have been in the same place, I could have celebrated with you, and Cameron could have celebrated with Dimitriy... He is a good husband though to arrange that! (I didn't arrange anything for Dima while he was in Florida... but I plan on doing something this next weekend.) Anyway, I just wanted to say I love you and am so grateful for your friendship, you and cameron have been such a blessing and I can't wait till you guys come back!!! Call me when you get back and I'll help you unpack and move back in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey friend, you know you're 22 days older than me? Hope it was good. I didn't know you had a blog! Now can I forever stalk you, how stoked are you?

    ReplyDelete