Friday, December 23, 2016

2 Months with Violet

Violet has been the sweetest addition to our home. The boys adore her. Overall, they've adjusted great to having another sibling. They've acted up more in general, but they're very sweet to her and are very attentive to her needs. A few things about Violet's first couple months:
  • She's been our easiest newborn so far. By a long shot. This is a huge blessing; we'd been pretty terrified to have another newborn, but it's been a lot better than we expected. I think that's due to a few different things: she has a pretty easy-going temperament, Cameron's work schedule has been very flexible since he's self-employed, I've slept a lot more than I did with the boys (Cam takes one night feeding), plus I tried encapsulating my placenta (crazy, I know) which I think helped me feel a lot more normal. I think this is the first time I haven't struggled with postpartum depression, which has been amazing. I know it sounds terrible to say, but both my other newborn experiences have been some of the darkest times in my life. It's been such a blessing to be able to enjoy Violet as a newborn!
  • Another thing that's made things better this time around is that I'm pumping instead of breastfeeding. Breastfeeding was the worst part of my newborn experiences with the boys and has always been really difficult for me and my babies because of my anatomy. I pushed through with the boys and breastfed until they were a year old. It was a really tough decision, but after a month of Violet was struggling to get a good latch, I cut my losses and decided to pump exclusively. It was such a hard decision to make. I struggled with feeling like a failure and like I was giving up. And of course I really miss nursing. It's such an incredible thing to be able to do and so satisfying and fulfilling. But for my sanity, exclusively pumping was definitely the right choice. I'm sleeping a lot more, feedings aren't taking so long--I have time for my other kids and other activities, and I don't resent my baby for causing me pain. I started pumping eight times daily. At this point I'm pumping six times a day and making quite a bit of extra milk that I'm freezing. I want to pump at least until she's 6 months old and then hopefully she can have frozen milk for a while after that. 
  • It's looking like Violet will have to get a helmet for plagiocephaly (a flat spot on her head). We're pretty bummed. We know what we're getting into because Andy had one. Violet has strongly preferred being turned to one side. We were mindful of it from the beginning and tried to make her turn, but she was pretty stubborn. At her 2 month visit the pediatrician diagnosed her with torticollis (her neck is tight on one side which is what's making it hard for her to turn her head that direction). We're starting physical therapy to help with that, then depending on her improvement she'll likely get a helmet at 6 months old. It's a bummer, but not the end of the world. 
  • I love her coloring--her dark hair, olive skin, and dark eyes. It's totally different from her brothers and it's so fun!
  • Violet likes her binky, eating, her dockatot, and the mamaroo. She started to smile a few weeks ago. She's a little bit stingy with her smiles, but we're starting to see them more and more and loving it. She has the sweetest smile! She's also starting to coo and chat with us--cutest thing ever. 
  • She's our sleepiest baby! I think up until a couple weeks ago she was sleeping 22 hours a day. Now it's more like 18 or 19, which feels like a lot more than our boys ever did. She still sleeps on the go very well too.  At night she typically wakes up twice to eat. I think that's pretty standard for her age, but that's WAY better than her brothers were so it feels amazing. There have even been a handful of nights she only wakes up once! 
  • At her 2 month visit she was 11 lbs 4 oz, I think? I don't remember her height, but I think it was 50th percentile or something. Same with her head. Other than the torticollis/plagiocephaly and an annoying goopy eye due to a clogged tear duct, she's perfectly healthy! 
  • Everyone always comments on what a great baby she is. She really is! Generally she's so content and easy-going. She's sweet, tender, and perfectly lovely. We're grateful to have this special spirit at home.
First day at home!



First bath!
She won't do this anymore, but the first six weeks or so, she'd lay on my chest and it was the best thing ever. I'd do it every night with her and it made the hard parts of having a newborn all worth it.


Dressing her is one of my favorite parts of the day. Girl clothes are SO cute.
3 weeks old! Such a beauty.
She loves her daddy.



1 month old!


Visiting Great Grandma Messick
Grandpa Greg
With Great Grandma Baker

With Grandpa Mark
Meeting Great Grandma Bonnie. Violet's met all four of her great grandmothers!
I'm obsessed with her boots!
I love her gorgeous lips.
2 months old!

With G.G. (Great Grandma Lee)
I'm not sure which one of her brothers did this. :)
She loves her dockatot. And it's probably been our favorite baby item this time around.
The most beautiful little girl.
First Thanksgiving!
With her friend Nolan.

1 comment:

  1. I love the pic of you with Violet lying on your chest. That is the best part about newborns, how snuggly and sleepy they are. I'm so glad you got to enjoy it more this time around. I pumped exclusively with Jake too. It's hard but 6 months is great. It's so important to do what is right for you at that time in your life. How awesome she is sleeping so much and that cam takes a night feeding! Huge blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete