Friday, August 19, 2011

Why I have loved living with my grandparents

Cam and I have had the opportunity to live with my grandparents (in their basement apartment) this summer. It really has been an amazing opportunity. Initially, I was a little worried about how it might all pan out, but it has been such a blessing. I have really treasured this time to get to know them better and spend so much time with them. I will miss them so much when we move!

Things I will miss...
-The way my grandma dresses up everywhere she goes. She looks like a movie star when she goes to church and picks out every outfit so carefully. It's adorable.
-How my grandpa dyes my grandma's hair for her. How sweet is that?
-How they bicker all the time. That might sound bad, but it really is hilarious. Mostly it's my grandma yelling at him for silly things like leaving out the Pam. Or picking the wrong parking spot. (Important stuff like that.) He's the most patient man I've ever met.
-Teaching my grandma to use her computer. She couldn't figure out how to double click...bless her.
-How they love each other and depend on each other. It's so cute. Married 65 years.
-How my grandma always says, "Getting old isn't for sissies!"
-This might sound mean, but I'll miss the way my grandma forgets things. I've heard some of the same stories dozens of times this summer. It's really cute. "You know...I was 45 when I had Marilyn." "You know...my mother had 12 kids." "You know...I nursed all my children except for Diane." .
-How hard they work! My grandpa is 90, my grandma 87, and they work out in the yard for hours at a time. They'll hardly let us help with anything.
-How they put cokes in the freezer to get them cold quick and set the timer so they don't explode a few times a day. Except--they can never hear the timer when it goes off and we have to go upstairs to tell them their coke is ready.
-How they eat so much fried food! My grandpa definitely grew up in the south and his cooking shows it. You name it, they fry it--french toast, zucchini. Not to mention my grandma eats her cereal with half & half.
-How they do little things together like go to Arctic Circle for a hamburger. So cute.
-Hearing their stories from growing up. I've learned so much about them.
-How much my grandma bakes. She bakes dozens of cookies at a time. Banana bread too. She spends hours in the kitchen and works so hard.
-My grandpa's thick southern accent. And how he says his sister Juanita's name.
-Sharing meals with them. They're so quick to share everything with us.
-How honest my grandma is. "You know, __________ needs to lose 40 pounds." "They shouldn't be having a baby shower. They should be having a party to help take care of their lawn." "I'm not going to stake conference. It's always the same every year."
-My grandma's sense of humor. She has such a cute personality and always gets all my weird jokes.

1 comment:

  1. Those are adorable stories, Steph. I LOVE the one about the Cokes in the freezer. And the comment about the lawn help instead of a shower. TOO FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete